1. What is Google Maps, and how does it compare with other services?
Google Maps is a Google service offering powerful, user-friendly mapping technology-including business locations, contact information, and driving directions-to anyone searching for results in the United States, Canada, and the UK (more locations coming soon). With Google Maps, you'll enjoy the following unique features:
- Draggable maps – Click and drag maps to view adjacent sections immediately (no long waits for
new areas to download).
- Satellite imagery - View a satellite image (or a satellite image with superimposed map data) of your desired
location that you can zoom and pan.
- Integrated search results – Find business locations and contact information all in one location.
For example, if you search for [pizza in San Jose], locations of relevant listings appear on your map, and their phone
numbers appear alongside.
- Detailed directions – Enter an address and let Google Maps plot the location and/or driving directions
for you. Click any part of the driving directions to see a magnified map or satellite image of that part of the route.
- Keyboard shortcuts – Pan left, right, up and down with the arrow keys. Pan wider with the Page
Up, Page Down, Home and End keys. Zoom in and out with the plus (+) key and minus (-) keys.
Want to learn more? Take the Google Maps tour.